Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I ran into Marsha at Target on Sunday, the day before the class officially launched. When I asked about how the process (of creating the course and getting it on-line) was going, you should have seen her face light up! "It's done!" she said with a big grin. She's done the journey on the course and had a great time--now it's our turn!

Ok, onto the questions:

Is art a universal language? I think yes and no. Art is both process and product. I think the desire to make art and the act of making art (the process) are universal, but the outcome is not and that cultural norms play a huge role in how we understand what is being communicated. For example, Nazi Germany understood itself to be superior to other races. If a German artist of the 1930's produced a work referencing a strong sense of self, I don't know how much I could separate the work from the culture. Art is very much a product of the time and place it is made.

So yes, I think translation is sometimes neccessary. The globally shared human experiences of joy, anger, defiance, defeat, love, sadness, fear--all these are shared, and all are communicated. But I wouldn't always know they are being communicated.

Great questions to get us started. I guess that's a good mark--if the questions don't have straight answers. And art is the most perfect arena to explore it. (Ok, I'm prejudiced toward art...)

1 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Anne-

WOW...you make such excellent points. It is nice to see someone who is so richly involved in the arts speaking so passionately...your opinion differs slightly from mine but that is GOOD! I love how we are able to interact with one another, each coming from different backgrounds and views...hmmm cultural lens :)

I really nodded my head when you said "art is very much a product of the time and the place that it is made"...that really rings true. Art is always changing as times change, but it seems also art repeats itself just like history. Art has one constant though...if done well it moves and inspires people...it makes us feel something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home