Friday, September 08, 2006

Moving onto Japan--

My first impression when I think of Japan or Japanese culture is a mixed one. Io the deep respect for nature and an Eastern aesthetic. At the same time, I am intimidated by its people. I never knew why I felt intimidated until we read Hall's "Hidden Differences." As Hall pointed out, Americans seem to consider everyone their immediate friend, whereas Japanese, while polite to those they meet, reserve the status of "friend" for someone with whom they've bonded over a considerable length of time. So in instances of interacting w/ bits of Japanese culture (in larger cities w/ Japanese populations such as D.C. and L.A), I sensed that reserved quality and felt like my actions under the guise of "friendly behavior" were rejected. Now I understand they were perceived as intrusive to one who associates initial distance with respect.

What makes me laugh? Unexpected humor that plays into what it is to be human and trying to figure out or deal w/ regular life "stuff." Like the zefrank video that Peter Dean posted. And like the interaction on this site (turn your sound on and check out "manic mode"): http://www.saab-stuff.com/pop.swf. However, I don't like "humor" that hurts another, such as a practical jokes or something that makes someone looks bad. Cruelty disguised as humor is still cruelty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home